Saturday, April 30, 2011

Hand of Fatimah


 I am very intrigued by "hands" this week. 

I suspect it was because I saw a pretty necklace by Monsoon.


Initially I thought this was a "heart-in-hand" symbol which according to wiki, it is a symbol of charity, given from the heart. However I noticed on the Monsoon website that this called the Hand of Fatimah!

The Hand of Fatimah, also called the Hamsa, is a palm-shaped amulet popular throughout the Middle East and North Africa. This Muslim talisman subsequently passed into the Jewish tradition. Even Madonna was spotted wearing a Loree Rodkin diamond-studded Hamsa amulet.


The hand has been a symbol of blessings, power and strength and is used as a superstitious defense against the evil eye. Anyhow, the Hamsa has become a trendy and popular "good luck" charm.

Whimsigals blog has a very inspiring crafty project on the Hand of Fatima which I thought it was absolutely gorgeous!


Linda Altshuler's Hamsa Yisrael is fascinating.
It is a mandala of a circle of peace and protection of the Jewish homes.


Now, how's that on hands?

Do share what are your favourite images on hands and what does it mean to you!

No comments:

Post a Comment